Every space is different. Deciding how to pick the right bedroom rug size is both an art and a science. This holds true for any room in the house. And while there are always exceptions to any of these rules, there are a few things that you should keep in mind when choosing a bedroom rug size.
- Typically the rug should be centered under your bed. Not all spaces are the same, so this may not be possible but there are so many rug choices out there for every application that this should be doable no matter what.
- The rug should extend past the foot of the bed by at least 18 inches (we prefer a bit more).
- If you have a bench at the end of your bed, don’t forget to factor that in when you measure.
- The rug should be roughly 12 inches away from your nightstands.
- There should be at least 8″ between the edge of the rug and any walls. Different Interior Designers have different views on this.
- You should always purchase a rug pad to protect both your rug and the floor.
- Remember to factor in the thickness of the rug. You want to make sure you can open and close all doors.
Rugs on top of carpet
Should you or shouldn’t you? I think one’s initial reaction is no… However think back to the spaces you’ve been in. This idea is useful in many applications and can look great to.
Texture is Key
The key to layering carpet over carpet is to vary the texture. Area rugs generally work best over short-pile or looped carpet. In those cases, adding a thick, luxurious shag rug adds a sense of softness and elegance to your space.
Similarly, if you have a more plush style of carpet installed, choosing a low-profile berber or woven rug is likely your best bet. There are some applications that just don’t work to. I wouldn’t recommend putting an area rug over a very long-pile carpet, such as a frieze or a newer “soft carpet” (such as SmartStrand) because the area rug will not have firm support, and will shift, buckle and wrinkle.
Whatever path you choose, always remember to design the life you love.